MODERN GARDENING >> ECO RAIN >> ECORAIN DETENTION BASIN
Detention basins are surface storage basins or facilities that provide flow control through attenuation of stormwater runoff. They also facilitate some settling of particulate pollutants.
Detention basins are normally dry and in certain situations the land may also function as a recreational facility. However, basins can also be mixed, including both a permanently wet area for wildlife or treatment of the runoff and an area that is usually dry to cater for flood attenuation.
- Can cater for a wide range of rainfall events
- Can be used where groundwater is vulnerable, if lined
- Simple to design and construct
- Potential for dual land use
- Easy to maintain
- Safe and visible capture of accidental spillages.
- Little reduction in runoff volume
- Detention depths may be constrained by system inlet and outlet levels.